I was checking out the awnings today and found the sealant over the doorway awning was cracked and in need of replacement. I got my handy razor blade tool out and began the job of removing all the cracked sealant. Once removed, I found that there were a ton of leaves wedged in there. It seems as though whoever sealed the awning last, didn’t bother making sure the surface was clean and just put sealant right over anything in the way. In hindsight, those little leaves seem to get into any nook or cranny.
After all the leaves were removed and everything was clean, I had a new smooth surface for the new sealant to adhere to. I put down a bead of silicone, then I put down self-leveling Dicor lap sealant. It only takes only about an hour or two for everything to dry. It all sealed up very nicely.